Chairschair (châr),USA pronunciation n.
- a seat, esp. for one person, usually having four legs for support and a rest for the back and often having rests for the arms.
- something that serves as a chair or supports like a chair: The two men clasped hands to make a chair for their injured companion.
- a seat of office or authority.
- a position of authority, as of a judge, professor, etc.
- the person occupying a seat of office, esp. the chairperson of a meeting: The speaker addressed the chair.
- (in an orchestra) the position of a player, assigned by rank;
desk: first clarinet chair.
- the chair, See electric chair.
- See sedan chair.
- (in reinforced-concrete construction) a device for maintaining the position of reinforcing rods or strands during the pouring operation.
- a glassmaker's bench having extended arms on which a blowpipe is rolled in shaping glass.
- a metal block for supporting a rail and securing it to a crosstie or the like.
- get the chair, to be sentenced to die in the electric chair.
- take the chair:
- to begin or open a meeting.
- to preside at a meeting;
act as chairperson.
- to place or seat in a chair.
- to install in office.
- to preside over;
act as chairperson of: to chair a committee.
- to carry (a hero or victor) aloft in triumph.
- to preside over a meeting, committee, etc.
Thatthat (ᵺat; unstressed ᵺət),USA pronunciation pron. and adj., pl.those;
- (used to indicate a person, thing, idea, state, event, time, remark, etc., as pointed out or present, mentioned before, supposed to be understood, or by way of emphasis): That is her mother. After that we saw each other.
- (used to indicate one of two or more persons, things, etc., already mentioned, referring to the one more remote in place, time, or thought;
opposed to this): This is my sister and that's my cousin.
- (used to indicate one of two or more persons, things, etc., already mentioned, implying a contrast or contradistinction;
opposed to this): This suit fits better than that.
- (used as the subject or object of a relative clause, esp. one defining or restricting the antecedent, sometimes replaceable by who, whom, or which): the horse that he bought.
- (used as the object of a preposition, with the preposition standing at the end of a relative clause): the farm that I spoke of.
- (used in various special or elliptical constructions): fool that he is.
- at that:
- in spite of something;
nevertheless: Although perhaps too elaborate, it seemed like a good plan at that.
- in addition;
besides: It was a long wait, and an exasperating one at that.
- that is, (by way of explanation, clarification, or an example);
more accurately: I read the book, that is, I read most of it.Also, that is to say.
- that's that, there is no more to be said or done;
that is finished: I'm not going, and that's that!
- with that, following that;
thereupon: With that, he turned on his heel and fled.
- (used to indicate a person, place, thing, or degree as indicated, mentioned before, present, or as well-known or characteristic): That woman is her mother. Those little mannerisms of hers make me sick.
- (used to indicate the more remote in time, place, or thought of two persons, things, etc., already mentioned;
opposed to this): This room is his and that one is mine.
- (used to imply mere contradistinction;
opposed to this): not this house, but that one.
- that way, [Informal.]in love or very fond of (usually fol. by about or for): The star and the director are that way. I'm that way about coffee.
- (used with adjectives and adverbs of quantity or extent) to the extent or degree indicated: that much; The fish was that big.
- to a great extent or degree;
very: It's not that important.
- [Dial.](used to modify an adjective or another adverb) to such an extent: He was that weak he could hardly stand.
- (used to introduce a subordinate clause as the subject or object of the principal verb or as the necessary complement to a statement made, or a clause expressing cause or reason, purpose or aim, result or consequence, etc.): I'm sure that you'll like it. That he will come is certain. Hold it up so that everyone can see it.
- (used elliptically to introduce an exclamation expressing desire, a wish, surprise, indignation, or other strong feeling): Oh, that I had never been born!
Willwill1 (wil),USA pronunciation auxiliary v. and v., pres. sing. 1st pers. will, 2nd will or ([Archaic]) wilt, 3rd will, pres. pl. will* past sing. 1st pers. would, 2nd would or ([Archaic]) wouldst, 3rd would, past pl. would;
past part. ([Obs.]) wold or would;
imperative, infinitive, and pres. participle lacking.
- am (is, are, etc.) about or going to: I will be there tomorrow. She will see you at dinner.
- am (is, are, etc.) disposed or willing to: People will do right.
- am (is, are, etc.) expected or required to: You will report to the principal at once.
- may be expected or supposed to: You will not have forgotten him. This will be right.
- am (is, are, etc.) determined or sure to (used emphatically): You would do it. People will talk.
- am (is, are, etc.) accustomed to, or do usually or often: You will often see her sitting there. He would write for hours at a time.
- am (is, are, etc.) habitually disposed or inclined to: Boys will be boys. After dinner they would read aloud.
- am (is, are, etc.) capable of;
can: This tree will live without water for three months.
- am (is, are, etc.) going to: I will bid you "Good night.''
- to wish;
like: Go where you will. Ask, if you will, who the owner is.
Youryour (yŏŏr, yôr, yōr; unstressed yər),USA pronunciation pron.
- (a form of the possessive case of you used as an attributive adjective): Your jacket is in that closet. I like your idea.Cf. yours.
- one's (used to indicate that one belonging to oneself or to any person): The consulate is your best source of information. As you go down the hill, the library is on your left.
- (used informally to indicate all members of a group, occupation, etc., or things of a particular type): Take your factory worker, for instance. Your power brakes don't need that much servicing.
Eyeseye (ī),USA pronunciation n., pl. eyes, (Archaic) ey•en or eyne;
v., eyed, ey•ing or eye•ing.
- the organ of sight, in vertebrates typically one of a pair of spherical bodies contained in an orbit of the skull and in humans appearing externally as a dense, white, curved membrane, or sclera, surrounding a circular, colored portion, or iris, that is covered by a clear, curved membrane, or cornea, and in the center of which is an opening, or pupil, through which light passes to the retina.
- the aggregate of structures situated within or near the orbit that assist, support, or protect the eye.
- this organ with respect to the color of the iris: blue eyes.
- the region surrounding the eye: a black eye; puffy eyes.
vision: a sharp eye.
- the power of seeing;
appreciative or discriminating visual perception: the eye of an artist.
- a look, glance, or gaze: to cast one's eye at a beautiful necklace.
- an attentive look, close observation, or watch: to be under the eye of a guard.
- regard, view, aim, or intention: to have an eye to one's own advantage.
- a manner or way of looking at a thing;
opinion: in the eyes of the law.
- a center of light, intelligence, influence, etc.
- something resembling or suggesting the eye in appearance, shape, etc., as the opening in the lens of a camera, a peephole, or a buttonhole.
- the bud of a potato, Jerusalem artichoke, etc.
- a small, contrastingly colored part at the center of a flower.
- the central spot of a target;
- a choice center cut of meat: an eye of round; the eye of the rib.
- one of the round spots on the tail feathers of a peacock.
- the hole in a needle.
- a hole made in a thing for the insertion of some object, as the handle of a tool: the eye of an ax.
- a metal or other ring through which something, as a rope or rod, is passed.
- the loop into which a hook is inserted.
- a photoelectric cell or similar device used to perform a function analogous to visual inspection.
- a ring on the end of a tension member, as an eye bar or eye bolt, for connection with another member.
- a hole formed during the maturation of cheese, esp. Emmenthaler or Gruyère.
- a loop worked at the end of a rope.
- the approximately circular region of relatively light winds and fair weather found at the center of a severe tropical cyclone.
- eyes, the extreme forward part of the upper deck at the bow of a vessel.
- the precise direction from which a wind is blowing.
- an eye for an eye, repayment in kind, as revenge for an injustice.
- be all eyes, to give all one's attention to something;
- catch someone's eye, to draw or attract someone's attention: to catch the waiter's eye.
- give (someone) the eye, [Informal.]to look fixedly at (another person), esp. with obvious admiration;
ogle: She ignored the men who were giving her the eye.
- have an eye for, to have the ability to appreciate distinctions in;
be discerning or perceptive about: She has an eye for antique furniture.
- have eyes only for:
- to want no other person or thing but: She was always surrounded by admirers, but she had eyes only for Harry.
- to see, or view, or desire to see only. Also, only have eyes for.
- in a pig's eye, [Slang.]absolutely notnb;
dw d never: In a pig's eye I will!
- keep an eye on, to watch over attentively: Please keep an eye on my plants while I'm away.
- keep an eye out for, to be vigilant in looking or watching for: The announcer told his listeners to keep an eye out for the escaped criminal.
- keep one's eye on the ball, to remain attentive;
be especially alert.
- keep one's eyes open, to be especially alert or observant.
- lay, clap, or set eyes on, [Informal.]to catch sight of;
see: They had never laid eyes on such a big car before.
- make eyes at, to gaze flirtatiously or amorously at.
- my eye! [Informal.](a mild exclamation of contradiction or surprise): He says he wasn't told about this? My eye!
- open one's eyes, to bring someone to a realization of the truth or of something previously unknown: A trip through Asia opened his eyes to the conditions under which millions had to live.
- pick the eyes out, [Australia and New Zealand.]to select the best parts or items.
- run one's eye over, to glance briefly at;
- see eye to eye, to have exactly the same opinion;
agree: They have never been able to see eye to eye on politics.
- see with half an eye, to see or realize immediately or with ease: Anyone can see with half an eye that the plan is doomed to fail.
- shut one's eyes to, to refuse to see or consider;
disregard: We can no longer shut our eyes to the gravity of the situation.
- sight for sore eyes, a welcome sight;
a pleasant surprise: After our many days in the desert, the wretched village was a sight for sore eyes.
- with an eye to, with a plan or purpose of: with an eye to one's future.
- with one's eyes open, aware of the inherent or potential risks: She signed the papers with her eyes open.
- to fix the eyes upon;
view: to eye the wonders of nature.
- to observe or watch narrowly: She eyed the two strangers with suspicion.
- to make an eye in: to eye a needle.
- [Obs.]to appear to the eye.
Inin (in),USA pronunciation prep., adv., adj., n., v., inned, in•ning.
- (used to indicate inclusion within space, a place, or limits): walking in the park.
- (used to indicate inclusion within something abstract or immaterial): in politics; in the autumn.
- (used to indicate inclusion within or occurrence during a period or limit of time): in ancient times; a task done in ten minutes.
- (used to indicate limitation or qualification, as of situation, condition, relation, manner, action, etc.): to speak in a whisper; to be similar in appearance.
- (used to indicate means): sketched in ink; spoken in French.
- (used to indicate motion or direction from outside to a point within) into: Let's go in the house.
- (used to indicate transition from one state to another): to break in half.
- (used to indicate object or purpose): speaking in honor of the event.
- in that, because;
inasmuch as: In that you won't have time for supper, let me give you something now.
- in or into some place, position, state, relation, etc.: Please come in.
- on the inside;
- in one's house or office.
- in office or power.
- in possession or occupancy.
- having the turn to play, as in a game.
- [Baseball.](of an infielder or outfielder) in a position closer to home plate than usual;
short: The third baseman played in, expecting a bunt.
- on good terms;
in favor: He's in with his boss, but he doubts it will last.
- in vogue;
in style: He says straw hats will be in this year.
- in season: Watermelons will soon be in.
- be in for, to be bound to undergo something, esp. a disagreeable experience: We are in for a long speech.
- in for it, [Slang.]about to suffer chastisement or unpleasant consequences, esp. of one's own actions or omissions: I forgot our anniversary again, and I'll be in for it now.Also,[Brit.,] for it.
- in with, on friendly terms with;
familiar or associating with: They are in with all the important people.
- located or situated within;
internal: the in part of a mechanism.
- in favor with advanced or sophisticated people;
stylish: the in place to dine; Her new novel is the in book to read this summer.
- comprehensible only to a special or ultrasophisticated group: an in joke.
included in a favored group.
inbound: an in train.
- being in power, authority, control, etc.: a member of the in party.
- playing the last nine holes of an eighteen-hole golf course (opposed to out): His in score on the second round was 34.
- Usually, ins. persons in office or political power (distinguished from outs).
- a member of the political party in power: The election made him an in.
- pull or influence;
a social advantage or connection: He's got an in with the senator.
- (in tennis, squash, handball, etc.) a return or service that lands within the in-bounds limits of a court or section of a court (opposed to out).
v.t. Brit. [Dial.]
- to enclose.
Termsterm (tûrm),USA pronunciation n.
- a word or group of words designating something, esp. in a particular field, as atom in physics, quietism in theology, adze in carpentry, or district leader in politics.
- any word or group of words considered as a member of a construction or utterance.
- the time or period through which something lasts.
- a period of time to which limits have been set: elected for a term of four years.
- one of two or more divisions of a school year, during which instruction is regularly provided.
- an appointed or set time or date, as for the payment of rent, interest, wages, etc.
- conditions with regard to payment, price, charge, rates, wages, etc.: reasonable terms.
- conditions or stipulations limiting what is proposed to be granted or done: the terms of a treaty.
- footing or standing;
relations: on good terms with someone.
- [Obs.]state, situation, or circumstances.
- [Algebra, Arith.]
- each of the members of which an expression, a series of quantities, or the like, is composed, as one of two or more parts of an algebraic expression.
- a mathematical expression of the form axp, axpyq, etc., where a, p, and q are numbers and x and y are variables.
- the subject or predicate of a categorical proposition.
- the word or expression denoting the subject or predicate of a categorical proposition.
- Also called terminus. a figure, esp. of Terminus, in the form of a herm, used by the ancient Romans as a boundary marker;
- an estate or interest in land or the like, to be enjoyed for a fixed period.
- the duration of an estate.
- each of the periods during which certain courts of law hold their sessions.
- completion of pregnancy;
- end, conclusion, or termination.
- boundary or limit.
- bring to terms, to force to agree to stated demands or conditions;
bring into submission: After a long struggle, we brought them to terms.
- come to terms:
- to reach an agreement;
make an arrangement: to come to terms with a creditor.
- to become resigned or accustomed: to come to terms with one's life.
- eat one's terms, to study for the bar;
be a law student.
- in terms of, with regard to;
concerning: The book offers nothing in terms of a satisfactory conclusion.
- to apply a particular term or name to;
Ofof1 (uv, ov; unstressed əv or, esp. before consonants, ə),USA pronunciation prep.
- (used to indicate distance or direction from, separation, deprivation, etc.): within a mile of the church; south of Omaha; to be robbed of one's money.
- (used to indicate derivation, origin, or source): a man of good family; the plays of Shakespeare; a piece of cake.
- (used to indicate cause, motive, occasion, or reason): to die of hunger.
- (used to indicate material, component parts, substance, or contents): a dress of silk; a book of poems; a package of cheese.
- (used to indicate apposition or identity): Is that idiot of a salesman calling again?
- (used to indicate specific identity or a particular item within a category): the city of Chicago; thoughts of love.
- (used to indicate possession, connection, or association): the king of France; the property of the church.
- (used to indicate inclusion in a number, class, or whole): one of us.
- (used to indicate the objective relation, the object of the action noted by the preceding noun or the application of a verb or adjective): the ringing of bells; He writes her of home; I'm tired of working.
- (used to indicate reference or respect): There is talk of peace.
- (used to indicate qualities or attributes): an ambassador of remarkable tact.
- (used to indicate a specified time): They arrived of an evening.
- [Chiefly Northern U.S.]before the hour of;
until: twenty minutes of five.
- on the part of: It was very mean of you to laugh at me.
- in respect to: fleet of foot.
- set aside for or devoted to: a minute of prayer.
- [Archaic.]by: consumed of worms.
Andand (and; unstressed ənd, ən, or, esp. after a homorganic consonant, n),USA pronunciation conj.
- (used to connect grammatically coordinate words, phrases, or clauses) along or together with;
as well as;
in addition to;
moreover: pens and pencils.
- added to;
plus: 2 and 2 are 4.
- then: He read for an hour and went to bed.
- also, at the same time: to sleep and dream.
- then again;
repeatedly: He coughed and coughed.
- (used to imply different qualities in things having the same name): There are bargains and bargains, so watch out.
- (used to introduce a sentence, implying continuation) also;
then: And then it happened.
- [Informal.]to (used between two finite verbs): Try and do it. Call and see if she's home yet.
- (used to introduce a consequence or conditional result): He felt sick and decided to lie down for a while. Say one more word about it and I'll scream.
on the contrary: He tried to run five miles and couldn't. They said they were about to leave and then stayed for two more hours.
- (used to connect alternatives): He felt that he was being forced to choose between his career and his family.
- (used to introduce a comment on the preceding clause): They don't like each other--and with good reason.
- [Archaic.]if: and you please.Cf. an2.
- and so forth, and the like;
et cetera: We discussed traveling, sightseeing, and so forth.
- and so on, and more things or others of a similar kind;
and the like: It was a summer filled with parties, picnics, and so on.
- an added condition, stipulation, detail, or particular: He accepted the job, no ands or buts about it.
- conjunction (def. 5b).
Benchbench (bench),USA pronunciation n.
- a long seat for several persons: a bench in the park.
- a seat occupied by an official, esp. a judge.
- such a seat as a symbol of the office and dignity of an individual judge or the judiciary.
- the office or dignity of various other officials, or the officials themselves.
- the seat on which the players of a team sit during a game while not playing.
- thequality and number of the players of a team who are usually used as substitutes: A weak bench hurt their chances for the championship.
- [Informal.]See bench press.
- Also called workbench. the strong worktable of a carpenter or other mechanic.
- a platform on which animals are placed for exhibition, esp. at a dog show.
- a contest or exhibition of dogs;
- [Phys. Geog.]a shelflike area of rock with steep slopes above and below.
- a step or working elevation in a mine.
- berm (def. 2).
- on the bench:
- serving as a judge in a court of law;
- [Sports.](of a player) not participating in play, either for part or all of a game.
- to furnish with benches.
- to seat on a bench or on the bench: an election that benched him in the district court.
- to place (a show dog or other animal) in exhibition.
- to cut away the working faces of (a mine or quarry) in benches.
- to remove from a game or keep from participating in a game: to be benched because of poor hitting.
Forfor (fôr; unstressed fər),USA pronunciation prep.
- with the object or purpose of: to run for exercise.
- intended to belong to, or be used in connection with: equipment for the army; a closet for dishes.
- suiting the purposes or needs of: medicine for the aged.
- in order to obtain, gain, or acquire: a suit for alimony; to work for wages.
- (used to express a wish, as of something to be experienced or obtained): O, for a cold drink!
- sensitive or responsive to: an eye for beauty.
- desirous of: a longing for something; a taste for fancy clothes.
- in consideration or payment of;
in return for: three for a dollar; to be thanked for one's efforts.
- appropriate or adapted to: a subject for speculation; clothes for winter.
- with regard or respect to: pressed for time; too warm for April.
- during the continuance of: for a long time.
- in favor of;
on the side of: to be for honest government.
- in place of;
instead of: a substitute for butter.
- in the interest of;
on behalf of: to act for a client.
- in exchange for;
as an offset to: blow for blow; money for goods.
- in punishment of: payment for the crime.
- in honor of: to give a dinner for a person.
- with the purpose of reaching: to start for London.
- contributive to: for the advantage of everybody.
- in order to save: to flee for one's life.
- in order to become: to train recruits for soldiers.
- in assignment or attribution to: an appointment for the afternoon; That's for you to decide.
- such as to allow of or to require: too many for separate mention.
- such as results in: his reason for going.
- as affecting the interests or circumstances of: bad for one's health.
- in proportion or with reference to: He is tall for his age.
- in the character of;
as being: to know a thing for a fact.
- by reason of;
because of: to shout for joy; a city famed for its beauty.
- in spite of: He's a decent guy for all that.
- to the extent or amount of: to walk for a mile.
- (used to introduce a subject in an infinitive phrase): It's time for me to go.
- (used to indicate the number of successes out of a specified number of attempts): The batter was 2 for 4 in the game.
- for it, See in (def. 21).
- seeing that;
Kitchen backsplash frequently located on the wall is employed like a drain place. Because typically in the region of the kitchen sink is a large amount of splashes of water or of applied cooking oil and would be very terrible if it splashes to the surfaces of the home, so it's presented being a kitchen backsplash alternative together with decorating highlights within the kitchen. Home backsplash tile is very quite floral design with minimalist style home.